Happy Mount Park at the east end of the promenade was originally created in the 1920s. It is a traditional, family-friendly park with modern facilities and attractions, including: Splash park, Indoor play area, crazy golf, Seasonal brass band performances, Crown green bowling, 18-hole putting green and much more…
Further west you will see The Clock Tower. It is a red brick grade II listed building with plenty of seating around it. It was designed by Cressey and Keighley Architects and built in 1905 as a gift to the town from Alderman J R Birkett.
Unveiled by the Queen in July 1999, the larger-than-life statue of Eric Morecambe was created by sculptor Graham Ibbeson and depicts Morecambe in one of his characteristic poses with a pair of binoculars around his neck (he was a keen ornithologist). He stands at the top of the stairs in a purpose built circle surrounded by beautiful flower beds and is surrounded by inscriptions of many of his favourite catchphrases like ‘RUBBISH’ and the words from their famous song, Bring me Sunshine’.
One of Morecambe’s landmark buildings is the partially renovated Victoria Pavillion (spelt incorrectly on the mosaic tiles at the entrance to the theatre), also popularly known as Morecambe Winter Gardens. The Winter Gardens is a Grade II* listed building. This was once a venue for swimming baths, a grand theatre, a restaurant and a ballroom, and even became a training camp at various times in its life. The Theatre is currently being renovated by the Morecambe Winter Gardens Preservation Trust Ltd
Now a Grade II* listed building, The Midland Hotel was built by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS), to the designs of architect Oliver Hill, with sculpture by Eric Gill and is designed in the Art Deco style. The hotel stands on the seafront. Immediately after its opening in July 1933 the Midland became the place to stay and quickly attracted the wealthy middle classes from across the north of England and even further afield. It continued in popularity until WWII when it was converted into a RAF hospital. After the war it was sold a number of times to a combination of private owners and companies, but trade gradually declined and little was done to stem the deterioration of the building. Sadly, it was neglected after the death of its final owner in 1998.
Along with architects Union North and the Northwest Regional Development Agency, Urban Splash commenced refurbishment and expansion of the hotel commencing in 2006 and the hotel opened its doors to the public in June 2008. In May 2009 Urban Splash announced a partnership with English Lakes Hotels to manage the Midland Hotel. Further developments on the Central Promenade were also completed by Urban Splash.
Hiding behind the Midland hotel, is the present Stone Jetty. This is all that remains of the former harbour, built around 1853. The Stone Jetty was rebuilt as part of the coastal defence work and extended during 1994/95 and as a result is now designed to withstand the possible harsh effects of waves in winter storms. The Jetty now consists of a series of circular pavement features incorporating games for the young and old to enjoy, including a maze, a magpie hopscotch, a food chain, a wordsearch, a huge compass and a café.